Helping Those with Illness Find the Answers Needed to Discover Renewed Health and Happiness
Amy Stenehjem, M.D.
Frustrated by illness and the overwhelming search for answers? Dr. Stenehjem understands what you are going through, and can help.
She works as a Health Consultant, using her unique perspective as a physician who spent years bedbound due to illness. She uses this insight to help her clients find the answers they need to improve their health and live a more active, joyful life.
Dr. Stenehjem works with clients, from all over the United States, experiencing any level of illness.
Dr. Stenehjem offers a brief introductory phone call, at no charge, in order to provide you with the opportunity to learn more about her services.
WHAT IS A HEALTH CONSULTANT?
When Dr. Stenehjem found the answers she needed to address her complicated health issues, she decided she wanted to do something to help those who were feeling abandoned or lost in their current healthcare systems. She knew how frustrating and overwhelming it felt to be sick and unable to find answers, so she created her business, Mastering Health & Happiness (MHH).
When Dr. Stenehjem started MHH, there really wasn't a job tittle for what she wanted to do (a combination of a patient advocate, healthcare navigator, health coach, and medical detective), so she decided to create a new job title: "health consultant." As far as Dr. Stenehjem knows, she is the only person in the U.S. performing this type of unique work.
As a Health Consultant, Dr. Stenehjem does not diagnosis or treat patients. Instead, she uses her medical knowledge and personal experience as a patient to help guide those with complex and/or chronic illness to the answers needed to achieve renewed health and happiness.
HOW CAN DR. STENEHJEM HELP YOU?
- Perform a medical history/records review to determine possible diagnoses and/or treatment options that could be looked into further to help you feel better
- Help find doctors in your area and/or nationwide who may be able to provide solutions to your health problems
- Provide insight on how to better navigate the often overwhelming world of healthcare so this process is less frustrating
- Instruct on how to prepare for medical appointments and to organize your thoughts so you feel more confident and can effectively communicate with your healthcare providers
- Teach you how to summarize your symptoms and better explain them to healthcare providers so they understand your health issues more completely
- Provide insight on how to advocate for yourself without alienating your healthcare providers
- Identify essential questions to ask healthcare providers to assist with decision making and to avoid miscommunication before consultations, tests, and/or procedures
- Review doctor recommendations to help clarify complicated medical information so you feel more confident about your health decisions
- Explain complex medical conditions in layman's terms so you have a better understanding of your health issues and how to address them
- Teach you how to better understand your body and prevent and manage flaring of symptoms
- Explain potential nutritional and environmental aspects that could be triggering your health issues or making your symptoms worse
- Teach you about the cycle of illness, how food, stress, and sleep can affect that cycle, and what small changes could make a big difference in disrupting this cycle
- Identify complementary/alternative medicine treatments that may be helpful for you
- Explain how to talk with friends, family, and colleagues about your health so they understand it better and can be more supportive
- Teach you how to expand your support system so you feel less overwhelmed by your health
- Explain how you can connect with others dealing with illness to create a community of support from those who understand what you are going through
- Discuss ways to combat the loneliness and isolation that are often associated with illness
- Provide insight to help you create a more joyful, purposeful life despite dealing with the challenges of illness
- Discuss ways you can use your experience with illness to make a difference in the lives of others dealing with health issues
ABOUT AMY STENEHJEM, M.D.
After graduating from medical school in 2000, Dr. Stenehjem worked as a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation physician, specializing in the care of those with Fibromyalgia, chronic neck/back problems, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis), and autoimmune-related joint disease.
But in 2011, her health began to dramatically decline. She became very sick, unable to walk a few feet without severe fatigue, shortness, of breath, and dizziness. She also had several other symptoms involving multiple organ systems, including neurological problems, fevers, headaches, rashes, night sweats, and joint pain.
Dr. Stenehjem spent 7 years, seeing more than 20 doctors, and spending countless hours searching for answers. Once she found these answers, she created the health consulting firm, Mastering Health & Happiness, to help others struggling with illness.
"I became a health consultant because I know how frustrating, overwhelming, and at times isolating it feels to be sick and could only imagine how difficult it is for those who don't have a medical background."
- Amy Stenehjem, M.D.
"My experience in working with Amy has been wonderful. My health issues are complex, therefore, I was a bit skeptical that many medical practitioners would be able to understand and connect some of them together, much less help me with them.
Amy thinks outside the box! I find her to be incredibly intelligent, detail oriented "peeling back the layer of the onion", compassionate, and truly caring and wanting to help her clients. It feels amazing to have found a medical professional health advocate who I can talk with and feel secure in knowing someone else, other, than myself, is working diligently to help me.
Amy's listening and comprehension skills are incredible for complex health cases. Her attention to detail, her research skills and compassion for her clients is also refreshing. Showing she truly wants to help you is one of the things I have been most impressed with as well."
"I've been dealing with a spinal cord injury for nearly 20 years, but when I developed new symptoms my doctors were unable to find the cause. After more than 2 years, numerous MRIs, and doctor appointments that led nowhere, I reached out to Dr. Stenehjem. After discussing it with her, she suggested it could be a syrinx, or lesion, on my spinal cord, and recommended I discuss it with my doctors. Sure enough, my doctors found a syrinx and were able to go over treatment options with me. Often, the worst part of medical issues is not knowing what's wrong. I’m so thankful Dr. Stenehjem was able to help me get the peace of mind I needed to move forward with my life.
Dealing with complicated medical issues is extremely difficult and has really taken a toll on me and my family. I was feeling hopeless and overwhelmed. My quality of life was poor and getting worse. Having a kind, compassionate, and knowledgeable person like Dr. Stenehjem in my corner helped dramatically. I knew she could relate, since she’s dealt with seemingly unsolvable medical issues herself. That perspective is extremely valuable; the best advocates are the ones that have been through the process.
Whether you’re struggling with a confusing healthcare system or just want to live a healthier and happier life, you’ll find no one better than Dr. Stenehjem."
"I can't begin to say how much Dr. Amy has helped me with navigating the medical system and obtaining and cleaning up my medical records.
Over the years I've been diagnosed with multiple chronic illnesses, as multiple specialists have worked to understand my health issues. My records were a mess, and my ongoing care was badly affected.
With Dr. Amy's help, I now understand how the medical system and records systems work, and my care has improved drastically since I've been able to work with providers to ensure my records are correct and up-to-date.
I would highly recommend Dr. Amy to anyone with chronic illness and multiple diagnoses. She has been there for me when I've been upset or confused about difficult appointments and doctors not listening to me and/or not understanding my diagnoses."
"I highly recommend Dr. Amy and her services! We have been working together for about a year now, and she has truly been a God-send!
She has helped me navigate an increasingly restrictive health care system to find the services I need.
Although she is quite knowledgeable and skilled in what she does, if she doesn’t know something, she will admit it and find out for you. It’s rare today to find someone who is knowledgeable, kind, and caring, and truly understands the complex issues that having a chronic illness presents on a daily basis to those of us who have one. Yet, I’ve been fortunate to find just that in Dr. Amy.
If you, or someone you know is looking for someone who can help you explore the many options available to you, and/or you are in need of a caring advocate, you need look no further!"
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Does my insurance pay for Dr. Stenehjem's services?
A: Consulting services are not typically covered by insurance. However, you may be able to get tax reimbursement for her services, so it is important you save all receipts and talk with your accountant.
Q: What does it cost to work with Dr. Stenehjem?
A: During your free introductory phone call, Dr. Stenehjem will provide you with a quote for her services.
Q: What types of payment does Dr. Stenehjem accept?
A: Dr. Stenehjem accepts all major credit cards which are processed through her Secure Client Portal.
Q: Are all communications with Dr. Stenehjem done remotely?
A: Yes, Dr. Stenejem offers secure, HIPAA-compliant phone, video, chat, fax, and email services, which enables her to communicate with you from anywhere in the United States.
Q: Can Dr. Stenehjem work with me if I live outside of the United States?
A: No, Dr. Stenehjem is only able to work with you if you live in the United States.
Q: Is Dr. Stenehjem able to take over as my physician?
A: No. Dr. Stenehjem works as a Health Consultant which means she does NOT examine, diagnose, treat, prescribe medications, offer second opinions, or respond to urgent medical needs.
Q: What medical conditions does Dr. Stenehjem have experience in?
A: Dr. Stenehjem has experience with many medical issues. The conditions she has the most experience in are the following:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
- Autoimmune Disease
- Lyme Disease
- Chronic Joint Pain, Osteoarthritis, Inflammatory Arthritis
- Debilitating Fatigue
- Dysautonomia, including Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)
- Chronic Epstein Barr Virus (CAEBV or CEBV)
- Chronic Headaches
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)
- Mast Cell Disease, Histamine Intolerance
- Neck and/or Low Back Pain
- Chronic Vertigo/Dizziness
- Mold Illness
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), Gut Dysbiosis